Biological and Pharmaceutical Chemistry Major at the University of Guelph
If you're looking for a career in the pharmaceutical industry (e.g. the design and synthesis of new pharmaceutical products, modelling and simulation of drug properties, method development and analyses of drugs, vaccines and other biological molecules), or if you're planning further studies in the medical and health sectors (Medical School, Dental School, Pharmacy School, etc), then this new major has been designed especially for you.
This major takes advantage of our strength in the Biological Sciences whilst maintaining a strong chemistry-oriented understanding of the molecular basis for biological structure and function.
* A program at the interface of chemistry and biology, one of the most exciting and rapidly growing interdisciplinary areas in science.
* Designed for students who want the excitement of the biological sciences coupled with the depth of understanding, and the wide applicability of the physical sciences.
* Aimed at providing opportunities and skills for students interested in careers which cross traditional boundaries in the chemical and biological sciences, and offering the flexibility which comes with a solid understanding of chemistry, the central science.
* A high quality laboratory experience with a focus on organic synthesis and analytical tools of relevance to both chemistry and biology.
* Co-operative education opportunities to gain work experience and complement your academic training.
* The option to select hands-on training in pharmaceutical analysis, pharmacology and applied toxicology biopharmaceuticals through Seneca College.
* Learning Centres for 1st year courses and laboratories . Small classes after 1st year, with plenty of access to faculty and graduate TA's for assistance.
Guelph is well known for the breadth of its biological science programs, and chemistry students can avail themselves of the opportunity to take biology courses in a number of areas as part of the Biological and Pharmaceutical Chemistry Program.
Majoring in Biological and Pharmaceutical Chemistry provides the flexibility to seek opportunities over a wide range of sciences : materials science, metallurgy, nanotechnology, engineering, medicine, energy, atmospheric science, pharmaceutical science and drug design, life sciences, proteomics, the environment, etc.